Saturday, February 17, 2007

Review of Topics Online Magazine

http://www.topics-mag.com/
This is “An Online Magazine for Learners of English” This appears to be targeted for middle school and high school aged learners, but adults could also participate in it. It is a collection of articles contributed by readers from around the world. The articles and issues of the magazine seem to be thematically driven and in areas that would appear interesting to young adult readers. For instance, there is a series of 5 reader contributions gathered under “Difficult Experiences.” One submission from a boy from Korea dealt with a narrative recalling a time he fell through thin ice while ice skating! There were also themes of “Traditional Dances, “Travel,” “Traditional Games,” and “Globalization.” The pieces seem polished, but are definitely written in the simpler syntax of ELL style. This would make it very accessible for most ELL classrooms and also quite interesting as they read authentic responses. Of course this could be used as inspiration for a unit/topic within a classroom; publication could also be held up as a goal to top students and that would give a real goal to peer reviewing, etc.; finally, it could serve as a model or inspiration for a classroom’s private online magazine. It also has a teacher’s corner where project ideas related to writing appear. There is no practice, assessment, or feedback function for the masses. This appears to be a pure content site. The site is easy to use, colorful, and neat, but it obviously is not going to stay authentic if the only goal is to get published. Perhaps they could make it easier to see how to contribute… I actually never found that information!

6 comments:

Eric said...

I'm always looking for short, simple texts on certain topics for my beginning students to read. It seems that this site has an abundace and they are easy to sort through because of how they are organized.

I think I'm going to ask my friend, the ENL teacher that I'm sending all of these sites tom, to pay for part of my tuition for this class.

What a great resource. This friend of mine is a writer too, so she will love this!

Stefanie said...

Doug
Eric is right; this site provides good reading for beginning level students. I like how "real" and personal the writing seems. I went through a few links and saw reviews on books and movies which would be a good pre-viewing task and also provide students and example to do their own review on a movie or book. Same thing with the interviews provided. I can see where you can really go off in many different directions with content from this website. I will see if I can find a country that we are going to cover in my ESL conversation class in this website to use.

Stefanie

Dlillyda said...

I'm glad that this seems so useful to you Eric and Stefanie. I think it will probably be below the level of my kids next year in the sheltered class, but it did seem like an authentic looking piece.

I hate to expose my ignorance (again) Eric, but what is ENL?

THanks,

Doug

Victoria Wreden Sadeq said...

This was a nice site with great topics for reading. I think that my kids both advanced and intermediate could handle the reading. It reminds me of a magazine I love that paper called "Faces". I will definetly try this website with my kids.

Victoria

John Steele said...

Yea, I wish I had known about this site before. I really like the Class Projects section. Interesting.

Stefanie said...

Well just to let everyone know I used one of the stories from this site with my advanced-beginner ESL student today. I think it may have been a little too difficult for her but I'll see more after she completes the homework assignment. We finished reading the story right at the end of class so I'll get her opinion too next week.

Stefanie