Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Joy Luck Club Webquest... Impressed?

Software/Website Title: Assimilation in America

Website URL: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/plegal/tips/t5prod/gershwq2.html

Grade/Age Level: Looks like high school

Language & Content: English -- It is a webquest based on the Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
This webquest seems to have all of the parts of a standard webquest, although that is not usually the case as I found when I did a Google search and found several websites only masquarading as webquests. Anyway, the sections were there and there was some attempt to make them attractive and organized. The introduction and task set out were fairly creative and seemed to have just enough zip that many students would find them interesting. THere is the idea that these studetns are part of an immigration and assimilation department in the U.S. government, not bad. In fact, there is a step in the webquest when studetns were asked to reflect upon their own expereiences of coming to America, leading me to believe that this is in fact a CALL style site for an ELL class. That makes sense since there is such an identity and assimilation bent in the novel itself. One of the resource links didn't work, but for the most part there seemed to be a variety of resources that were valuable: class projects, online journals, and publlic radio. There were some reasonably helpful "help" links that the teacher created and hyperlinked to her process list. There seemed to be a decent table exlaining the rubric to be implemented.

There was a vagueness to many parts of the project that would likely hurt its implementation. The task semed fairly straight forward and organized until a seemingly loosely related strand (how to assimilate better) became the focus without using consistent, specific terminology to aid in that transformation. It simply became "what is the problem?" I have a feeling there were questions at that point. It almost seems like that section was a revision that wasn't smoothly integrated, and the author left the old project, but tacked on a new section. The external documents meant to aid int he collection were also rather vague. They did not give many examples or specific guiding questions. It seems almost impossible that this doesn't need a fair amount of classroom guidance just on the project's task, which leaves less for teachable moments and strategy. I must say that the process/tasks seem worthwhile and have good variety but lack unity. Maybe the author could have the agent apply for the position (thus doing self-reflection) and later take his/her first assignment. Finally, although there were a couple references to group work, there really were no guidelines as to roles within the groups that could be manipulated to allow for preferences in learning style. THat could easily be rectified.

I did choose this topic because it is very likely that I will choose it for my own webquest project. I am impressed byt he creativity that people show in these projects and I am curious to see how I will match up... considering time pressures and technological constraints that hamper so many efforts.

4 comments:

Victoria Wreden Sadeq said...

Doug,

I too like the overall webquest design was an attempt by the maker to appeal to students with the bright flashing purple color. The content was noteworthy but I wonder the tasks and overall organizaiton. I think I would of added some more about the book itself and also the author Amy Tan.

The age level of this webquest is definetly high school because of the book selection and theme.I was also wondering about the vocabulary component of the piece. I would like to see the vocabulary listed and asked to be defined as part of the tasks in this unit of study on assimilation in America. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that parts of the WebQuest were vague I agree.

The external documents were good but unrelated to the tasks and I think the instructor needs Graphic organizer specific to the kinds of strategies students need in social studies classes. I would also have put in a piece of orginal student writing in which they were asked to reflect upon their own immigrant experiences or a family member.

The WebQuest I chose to evaluate this time are also based on my ideas for the development of my own WebQuest. Do you teach content in your ESL classes?

Victoria

Dan said...

The premise is interesting because this is actually being talked about in Europe, I believe I heard about calls for this kind of ministry in Britain (though I could be mistaken). I think that a department of assimulation is probably not too far off.

However, that's where my interest in the WebQuest wanes.

1) There is zero connection of the book to the task. I don't think that this is a bad thing, but if it is the case, don't infer a relationship at the top of the page.

2) The process is a skeleton only. There is no scaffolding, there is no integration of resources, and there is no guidance.

3) Where does that 6 step public policy format come from? It looks like it is just stuck in there. That would likely help as a guide to the projects, but there is no connection to the processes. This should be embedded in the appropriate step(s) for greater clarity. Possibly even a worksheet for students to fill in. (they do mention worksheets but none are available here).

4) The Quest begins and ends in the classroom. While not an absolute requirement, I would like to see a product that goes beyond the walls of the classroom. A WebQuest is meant to motivate learners to go beyond their schools and engage the outside world in ways that are difficult to do in a non-networked classroom.

5) The evaluation is weak. I would expect more detailed rubrics for each stage: groupwork, presentation, and report (graph being part of both the presentation and report).

6) No teachers' page. This could be the greatest setback in this Quest. The teachers' page can provide suggestions for teachers, give them appropriate resources to lead this activity, provide context, and so forth.

So, while I also applaud the author for taking his/her time to produce this WebQuest, I have to conclude that they need more feedback and revision to truly make it a good WebQuest.

Dan

Mary Spaeth said...

Hi Doug. I can't add much to Dan's comments other than to say that you've chosen an interesting webquest to actually improve substantially. (even the purple might be a bit much for highschool kids). I think that it's an excellent way to work with what is already online in order to improve what's offered in subject areas such as this. Cheers,
Mary

Eric said...

Doug,

I too think this webquest , inspite of its short-comings, has a really interesting premise. I'll be interested to see what you do with your own webquest. Good luck!